Monday, October 1, 2012

Bourbon Apple Crunch: a dessert for adults only


Here is another apple dessert I made this past weekend.  I am still working with all the apples from our apple picking spectacular.  I actually love having so many apples around because if I mess up one recipe, I have plenty of them lying around to continue my recipe experimenting.  

Below is a recipe I came up with this weekend. I am calling it Bourbon Apple Crunch but the bourbon ingredient is totally optional.  I hope if you get to make it, you enjoy it as much as Matt and I did.  

Just as a side note, this dessert is best served cooled.  I tried ours when right out of the oven and after it had sat out for about an hour.  It was actually better when it had cooled off some.  Also, vanilla ice cream or cool whip would be a wonderful addition to top this whole dessert off.  Enjoy!

          ...............

Bourbon Apple Crunch
(serves 4)

topping
1/4 cup oats (quick cooking or old fashion)
1/2 tablespoon white sugar
1/4 cup of whole pecans, chopped
1/2 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

apple base
3 apples, medium sized
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons bourbon
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Taking a small bowl, measure out and mix all of the topping ingredients listed above.  Set aside.  Core and cut apples into bite sized pieces.  Set aside.  In a large skillet, melt apple base's butter.  Add brown sugar and cinnamon.  Stir until mixed completely.  Add bourbon, continuing to stir.  Add apples.  Coat apples and let cook for 5-7 minutes or until soft.  Do not cover the skillet while the apples are cooking. Once apples are soft, add cornstarch to the mixture.  Stir in cornstarch.  Pour apple mixture into an oven safe dish.  Add your topping to the top of apple mixture.  Bake for 15-18 minutes.  Let cool for 30-60 minutes before serving.

          ...............










2 comments:

  1. Holy smokes, that looks ridiculous. Mmmmm bourbon. Making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did yall go apple picking? We're thinking of going later this month with my sis in law. I think I'm going to make this! As in, right now.

    ReplyDelete