Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Hot Pepper Hummus


While in Nashville, I raided my sweet friend Mary's pepper plants.  I brought home quite a few varieties and to be honest, I had no idea what any of them were called.  After doing some research, I found out I had a couple habanero peppers, some hot red peppers, and two banana peppers.  What a wonderful mix!

So this week, most of my recipes will involve some sort of pepper.  Today's recipe is Hot Pepper Hummus.   Don't be fooled!  It actually isn't that spicy at all.  I just am calling it Hot Pepper Hummus based on the name of the actual pepper.  The hummus has just a little bit of heat which comes primarily from the cayanne pepper in the recipe.  If you wanted to avoid spice entirely, feel free to leave it out.  I hope you enjoy!






          ...............

Hot Pepper Hummus

5 hot pepper, halved and seeded
1 clove garlic
2 15oz can of chickpeas
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
pinch of cayanne pepper
8 tablespoons olive oil, added one tablespoon at a time

Add halved and seeded peppers to a food processor.  Process peppers until they are minced.  Add the garlic and pulse until mixed with the peppers.  Add chickpeas, salt, cayanne pepper.  Process this, adding one tablespoon of olive oil at a time until the desired consistency is reached.  Serve chilled or at room temperature.


1 comment: