Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My last apple recipe...for now


I have now officially used up our apples from apple-picking.  The recipe below is going to probably be the last apple recipe I make for quite a while.  I am not saying that because I have not enjoyed cooking with apples.  I really really have!  It wasn't the apples, it was me.  I need to try new things, experiment with new foods, have new adventures... I think I just broke up with apples.

Anyway, below is a recipe that I found in the Food Network magazine.  They had a pull-out section in their October magazine entitled, "50 Things to Make with Apples."  This little pull-out is actually where my obsessions with apples began.  Therefore, it seems very appropriate that I would end my rash of apple recipes with one from my original inspiration piece.  

          ...............

Apple Cake by Food Network

Cake
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 apple
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Frosting
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 stick butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon juice
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Shred apple and squeeze dry, then whisk with eggs, vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla.  Fold into the flour mixture. Bake in a buttered 9-inch-round pan for 20 minutes. Cool. Beat cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt.  Spread on the cake. 

          ...............









I took this Apple Cake to small group and I think it went over pretty well.  On the way home, Matt said he would give it 4.5 chicken wings out of 5.  I take that as a very good indicator of this recipe's success.  I think if I bake it again I will try to make some healthier substitutions such as using only egg whites and applesauce instead of oil.  When making it this time, I did half the icing recipe and still found I had plenty of icing for the entire cake.

I would highly recommend this recipe if you have some extra apples lying around.  It was quick, easy, and very comforting.  It is like a taste of fall in every bite!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sad that you broke apples heart!! The recipe looks delish though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's your rebound fruit? I can't see what you whip up next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I come over and eat your leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebound fruit!! I love your mom's comment...

    ReplyDelete