Saturday, October 27, 2012

The World's Easiest Dutch Oven Vegetable Pot Pie



Below is the recipe for the "World's Easiest Dutch Oven Vegetable Pot Pie."  Yes, you are correct.  I did just write that.  The claim in this blog post is quite a large one.  In my mind, since I did not know of anyone else claiming this title yet, I am going to take it for this vegetable pot pie recipe.   If I am being honest, I don't actually know if there is an easier Dutch Oven Vegetable Pot Pie out there in the recipe world.  But even if there is, I can say this recipe is really really easy!  I promise.  Cross my heart.

I have recently had a slight obsession with pie crusts.  You can just do so much with them!  They are always delicious and can be used savory or sweet.  Luckily, Matt shares my love for the pie crust.  Although I had sat down on Saturday and scheduled our meals for the week, at some point during the week I got off schedule.  Oh, I remember now! I burnt two of the three pie crusts when making that chocolate pie.  That's right.  So anyway, with all the burning action going on, I found I needed to improvise later on in the week.

I had a cream of celery, lots of vegetables, chicken broth, and one remaining pie crust left so I decided to make a vegetable pot pie on Wednesday night.  I have eaten lots of pot pies so I figured I could come up with a recipe for one too.  Below is the delicious recipe result from my experimenting.  This vegetables pot pie actually turned out so good that Matt had two full servings of it.  I hope you enjoy!





          ...............

The World's Easiest Dutch Oven Vegetable Pot Pie

1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
4 stalks of celery, chopped
3 medium yukon potatoes, chopped
2 ears of corn, shaved
1 can of 98% fat free cream of celery soup
15 oz can of chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
2 big handfuls of spinach
1 pie crust

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Chop onion, celery, and carrots.  Pour about 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the bottom of a dutch oven.  Turn heat under dutch oven to medium.   Place chopped vegetables in dutch oven.  Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  While vegetables are cooking, chop the potatoes and add once chopped.  Shave ears of corn and add to vegetables. Continue to stir every couple minutes.  Add and mix the can of soup, chicken broth, garlic powder, and cayanne pepper to vegetables.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to a low boil.  Turn off heat under the dutch oven at this point.  Add big handfuls of spinach and mix into vegetable filling.  Place pie crust on top of vegetable filling.  Cut small slices in top for ventilation.  Place uncovered dutch oven in preheated oven.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.  Cool for 10 minutes and then serve.

          ...............

4 comments:

  1. You know I will be making anything that has the words "World's Easiest" in the title. So thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so incredibly delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Audrey sees this so she can make it for us. She has this thing goin' on cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    Indeed a good post, And I believe having a dutch oven in our all important kitchen is crucial it helps us cook the best food for our family,, so that's why we need the best dutch oven, and recently I have purchased one of the top dutch ovens available, because i want to make best food with the best dutch oven.
    By the way, Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete