Thursday, October 4, 2012

Lamb chops with braised escarole and chickpeas: a "Real Simple" masterpiece



I love food magazines. Real Simple. Food Network. Cooking Light.  You name the magazine, I bet you I will love it.  When I saw the recipe below in the October issue of Real Simple, I knew I wanted to try it.  First reason: it looked so easy! Second reason: what in the world is an escarole?  

After reading over the recipe and looking at the picture, I figured out escarole must be some sort of leafy, greeny thing (which could very easily be discovered when looking at the picture).  I was thinking the flavor might be a mix between lettuce and collard greens.  I also thought I would most likely be able to buy this leafy thing at the DeKalb Farmer's Market.  Both thoughts were right on.  Escarole is slightly bitter like collards and I was able to find it at the farmer's market.  That DeKalb Farmer's Market just doesn't let me down.  

When I was making this recipe, I only cooked one lamb chop and did not have any wine which is one of the called for ingredients.  I used chicken broth instead to add flavor to the escarole.  Even with this small substitution, this recipe was very good.  On the weeknights, I like to cook recipes that are simple.  This recipe is definitely that as well as delicious.  Matt gave it rave reviews and ate the leftover escarole and chickpeas the next day in his lunch.  Because I don't eat meat, I put the escarole on a baked potato and added some parmesan cheese.  Eating it that way was mighty tasty as well! If you get to try this recipe, I hope you enjoy it too.

Below is the original recipe by Real Simple.  It can be found in their magazine or online at this link: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/lamb-chops-braised-escarole-00100000086795/index.html 

          ...............

Lamb Chops with Braised Escarole and Chickpeas
(serves 4. Ready in 30 minutes)

4 tablespoons olive oil
1 small head escarole, leaves torn (about 13 cups)
4 cloves garlic, peeling and smashed
1/4 cup dry white wine
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
8 small rib or loin lamb chops (1 inch think; about 2 3/4 pounds total)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat.  Add the escarole, garlic, wine, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, covered, tossing occasionally, until very tender, 8 to 10 minutes.  Add the chickpeas and cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Season the lamb with the oregano and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.  In 2 batches, cook the lamb, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.  Serve with escarole.  

          ...............
  








3 comments:

  1. Woah! that looks delicious!!! I know we're trying to go a little more on the vegetarian side but I would totally make an exception to try this. And may I just say that your food photography is getting really good! I just had to laugh at the escarole mid cut, so artsy!! :)

    What's on the table tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks super good!! I would have never thought to put it on a potato but that was genius! I'm gonna have to try to make it this week!

    ReplyDelete