Monday, October 29, 2012

Roasted Vegetables with Braised Pork Ribs


My wonderful mother has taught me so many things in life.  She has taught me how to be creative, how to drink amaretto coffees in the late morning (after turning 21 years old), how to be nice to people, and last but not least, how to roast some mighty fine vegetables.  I was reminded of her influence again yesterday when I made some roasted vegetables with our dinner.  

Last night for dinner we had homemade bread (meaning bread made in the bread machine a.k.a 'throw in the ingredients and leave it alone' bread), braised pork ribs, and roasted vegetables.  I got the Braised pork rib recipe from The Food Network website here:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/braised-country-style-pork-ribs-recipe/index.html I didn't have the celery called for in the recipe so I just left that out.  Actual pork ribs were too expensive at Publix this week so instead of ribs I used two pork chops with the bones still in.  Other than those two slight modifications, I pretty much stuck to the recipe. 

As for the vegetables, I used cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, carrots, and yukon potatoes.  I cut them into bite size pieces and then shook a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder on top.  I mixed them all around, hoping to coat as many as possible with the seasoning.  I then dumped them all out on a cookie sheet, tossed them in the oven at 350 degrees and roasted until they were tender, about 35-45 minutes.  

For me, the roasted vegetables were the highlight of the meal but in the end really everything turned out great! The vegetables! The pork! The bread!  I didn't actually eat the pork but I did try the sauce it was in.  It was delicious.  I dipped the bread in the sauce and ate it that way.  I don't count that as eating meat.  Also, I forgot to actually take a picture of the pork after it was completed.  Sorry about that.  I just have the picture of Matt eating the meal instead.  BTW- Matt gave this meal a 4.8 out of 5 chicken wings.  I'll take it. 





2 comments:

  1. Man!! That looks good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? Doesn't everybody have amoretto coffee for breakfast? Veggies look great! Good job Jen!

    ReplyDelete