Sunday, October 7, 2012

Late night hummus


This weekend our friend Steve is back in town for a wedding.  We went to dinner last night at one of our favorite restaurants in Atlanta called West Egg Cafe.  At West Egg, they have a fabulous butterbean hummus which we get almost every time we go.  As we were enjoying it last night, I realized there was a pretty good chance that I could make a hummus similar to that one.  Not a definite chance but I thought I would give it a try.

While Matt and Steve were off seeing a movie, I ran to Publix looking for a can of butterbeans.  After much looking to no avail, I decided to check the frozen section.  This is where I found what I was looking for.  A frozen bag of buttepeas (which I assumed where the same as butterbeans)!  On the way home, I began imagining what exactly I would put in my butterpea hummus.  Below is what I came up with.  This recipe took about 5 minutes to make and produced probably a little less than 2 cups of hummus.  Quite a success in my book! In the Slye household, we recently began eating our hummus with pretzels.  It is quite a nice change from the traditional pita chip.  I hope you enjoy!

          ...............

Slightly Spicy Butterpea Hummus

16 oz bag of frozen butterpeas, thawed
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon cayanne pepper (or a little more if you like really spicy hummus)
5 tablespoons olive oil, added one at a time while food processor is blending the beans.

Combine all ingredients into a food processor.  Pulse until the desired consistency is reached.  Drizzle with a little olive oil.  Serve with pretzels, pita chips, vegetables, or whatever your heart desires.

          ...............





2 comments:

  1. That looks great! Glad it worked out well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you introduced me to Hummus. Never tried it with pretzels.

    ReplyDelete