Friday, November 30, 2012

Vegetarian Tortilla Soup

As you all know, I absolutely love the website 101cookbooks.com.  I check with anticipation everyday to see what new additions the author has posted.  When a new post pops up, I feel a rush of excitement to see what type of dish, ingredients, and/or recipe she has put together.  It is such an inspiration to me.  (Not in a religious type of way but in a food type of way-a soul invigorating food type of way.)

As you also know from all my soup posts, this website has wonderful, delicious soup recipes.  Today's recipe is another one I took from 101cookbooks.com.  Here is the link: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/vegetarian-tortilla-soup-recipe.html

Because this soup is basically a complex tortilla broth, I decided to add a can of corn and a can of pinto beans to the broth when I was making it.  I topped the soup with feta cheese crumbles we had in the fridge and some smoked sun dried tomatoes.  I specifically bought the sun dried tomatoes for this recipe but didn't realize until later that they were smoked.  Although I wasn't sure if they would work with the tortilla soup spices, the smoky flavor actually combined with them perfectly.  It just added to the depth of the soup.  

Matt kept eating the tortilla strips off the oven tray so we didn't have many left for topping the soup.  Clearly with the quick disappearance of the tortilla strips, they were great on their own.  They were also  super easy to make and a really fun addition to the soup.  I would highly recommend trying this recipe out when you are needing a spicy Mexican soup pick-me-up.  Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment