Thursday, November 1, 2012

An Enchilada Recipe Revisited


About a month ago I posted an enchilada sauce recipe that I had created for a weeknight dinner.  I was super excited about posting the sauce on this blog because it turned so delicious and was so quick to make.  Since the first time making these enchiladas, we have had them three other times! That is pretty regular for this household.  One of those wonderful times was this past Tuesday for dinner.  

On Tuesday I decided to experiment with some of the ingredients we had in the house as possible enchilada fillings.  I knew I wanted to use the same enchilada sauce but thought I would mix it up with what actually went into the tortillas.  For some reason, we always seem to have spinach that is on the verge of going bad.  I have no idea how that happens. I guess we aren't eating it fast enough or something. But anyway, I thought I would add some spinach into the enchiladas along with a jalapeno pepper and some pinto beans.  I, of course, added some cheese as well.  What is an enchilada without cheese! In Tuesday night's enchiladas I used 2 tablespoons of reduced-fat mexican cheese, 3 tablespoons of pinto beans, a small handful of spinach, and 1/5 of the chopped jalapeno to fill each tortilla.  I ended up making five enchiladas and served Spanish rice as the side.

Here are some additional ideas for enchilada fillings.  Again, all ideas assume you are going to be adding cheese.  Please let me know if you come up with any other enchilada filling ideas.  The more I can make this recipe, the better my life is!  I am also going to include the enchilada sauce recipe below just in case you can't find the previous posting.  I hope you enjoy!

corn, jalapenos, and black beans
pinto beans, ground beef, and green pepper
green pepper, corn, red pepper, and sweet potato (all cooked before adding them to the tortilla)
white rice, black beans, and ground beef
cilantro rice, pork, green peppers, and sweet potato
broccoli, poblano pepper, zucchini, and squash

          ...............

Jenny's Enchilada Sauce (This is not the official name-just the working title.)

1-8 oz tomato sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup water
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt

          ...............

No comments:

Post a Comment