Sunday, November 4, 2012

Nice Looking Bean Dip


On Friday night, Matt and I were supposed to go to a Halloween/Fancy party at some church friends' house.  We didn't end up going because Matt has been fighting off his fall allergies.  About 30 minutes before we were supposed to leave, he started sneezing, sneezing, sneezing.  Because we knew our friends' had three cats (which Matt happens to be allergic to), we figured going over to their house when he was already sneezing would not be a good idea.  So we stayed home and watched "Arrested Development."  I drank wine and he drank some beer.  Clearly even with the sneezing, the night was not a bust. 

But before the sneezing attack of November 2012 began, I made some bean dip to take to the party.  I didn't quite know what I was doing in making this bean dip.  I was inspired by a bean/avocado dip my friend Holly's husband makes every time we go to Hilton Head and by a dip my aunt makes called "Red Neck Caviar."  Unfortunately, I did not have time to look up either of these recipes so I decided to be creative and just try something new.  I think this dip turned out pretty good.  I will be honest though, I am slightly biased because I love all things bean.  And I loved the way this dip looked!  I thought the colors of the beans, corn, and cilantro looked so pretty together.  I don't know if you should base your review of a dip on how it looks but this one is very nice looking.  And it was tasty!

          ...............

Nice Looking Bean Dip (again, this is a working title)

1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 can kidney beans
1 package of italian seasoning
shake of pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of cayanne pepper
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of cilantro, chopped

Combine black beans, corn, and kidney beans in a large bowl. Stir. Add italian seasoning, pepper, garlic powder, cayanne pepper, olive oil, red wine vinegar and stir.  Chop cilantro and add to bean mixture.  Chill for about an hour before serving.

          ...............




PS- Because we didn't end up going to the party and because the bean dip wouldn't be eaten before going bad, I rinsed off the seasoning and plan to use the beans and corn Monday in a chili.  We will see how that goes. Wish me luck!


5 comments:

  1. Looks soooooo good. Would be great with some scoops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks dip-contest worthy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sneezing attack of November 2012!! I love it! I also love all things bean and shall be putting this dip into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummmm...feta cheese? I have a recipe something like this and it's really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete