Friday, November 16, 2012

Broccoli and Potato Skillet Tart






       
Dun Dun Duh (sound affect here)...... the ominous black cast iron skillet!

A couple days ago I decided I wanted to revamp our usual tart recipe.  Don't get me wrong.  I definitely love that tart recipe but I was in the mood for something different.  Something more robust.  Something more... ominous you might say.

Okay, that is a little dramatic but I did want to use our cast iron skillet during this tart cooking experience.  This big heavy black cast iron skillet was actually one of Matt's purchases pre-marriage.  He often used it for cooking steaks for himself and his roommate.  Nowadays it is still getting use but not quite as much.  I love the skillet and appreciate its searing and cooking abilities.  However I often just don't know what to do with it if I am not cooking meat.

Below is a tart recipe I created specifically so we could use the skillet.  This is a one skillet recipe which is wonderful!  Clean up for us included about five dishes and four utensils.  Not too bad, huh?  All of the ingredients in the tart could be swapped out for any other vegetable you have on hand.  Next time I make it, I will definitely add more broccoli and possibly some spinach.  Hope you enjoy!

           ...............

Broccoli and Potato Skillet Tart

1 medium leek
2 teaspoons salt, divided into 1 teaspoon each
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 medium red potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
2 broccoli heads, about 3 cups
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 oz of fontina cheese, shredded (about 1/4 cup)
2 oz reduced fat feta (about 1/4 cup)
1 pie crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Take the leek and chop only the white section of a leek.  (Rinse throughly in order to get out any grit and dirt.)  Place skillet on medium high heat.  Add a splash of olive oil to the skillet. Add leeks, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and pepper to skillet.  Cook leeks until soft, about 5-7 minutes.  Stir periodically to prevent burning.

While leeks are cooking, cut the potatoes and broccoli into bite sized pieces. Add potatoes and broccoli to skillet.  Mix all the ingredients together.  Add chicken broth and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt to skillet.  Stir, cooking for about 5 more minutes.  Turn off heat under skillet.

Sprinkle feta and fontina cheeses over the vegetables.  Top the cheese and vegetables with pie crust.  Make sure to cut pie crust in spots for ventilation.  Place entire skillet in the oven when it is preheated.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.  Enjoy!

          ...............









3 comments:

  1. Wow!!! That looks delish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes, that looks amazing. Busting out the skillet because of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I was cleaning out the pantry and found a tart pan! I remembered you posted some recipes and found three! I didn't have all the ingredients for any of them, but some of each! Since my confidence in swapping has skyrocketed I pulled out what I did have, along with a pie crust. Viola...Dinner!

    ReplyDelete