Thursday, November 8, 2012

Corn, Poblano, and Bean Chili

I love chili.  Well, I take that back.  I love meatless chili with very few onions and lots of beans and no red peppers.  That is the chili I love. 

Below is a recipe I threw together the other night.  I have "created" so many vegetarian chili recipes in my time but this is the first one I am actually proud to share.  As was posted earlier in the week, because we didn't go to the party last Friday night, we had a bunch of beans and corn hanging around the fridge.  This recipe is what was created out of that leftover bean and corn dip.  

I decided to use a leek in this recipe instead of an onion because I didn't want the overpowering taste of an onion.  Although I have been cooking with onions a lot lately, I really don't like big chunks of them in soups and/or chili and/or many other dishes.  I thought using a leek would be a good compromise.  I also added some chickpeas because they are delicious.  That's really the only reason.  Who wouldn't want something delicious in their chili?

This chili took less than an hour to make from start to finish.  After adding the initial ingredients, I just left it alone and let it cook down.  I would periodically stir but didn't have to do much more.  If you decide to try this recipe, I hope you enjoy!
          ...............

Corn, Poblano, and Bean Chili

2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
1 leek (only the white stem portion), chopped
1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayanne pepper (less out for less spice)
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 can of chickpeas
1 can corn
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1.5 cups of vegetable or chicken broth

Place butter in a large pot over medium heat.  Add leek, poblano, and garlic to the butter.  Saute for about 5-8 minutes or until slightly softened.  Add chili powder, cayanne powder, and salt.  Mix well and cook for about 2 minutes.  Add the chickpeas, corn, kidney beans, black beans, tomatoes, and broth to pot.  Stir all the ingredients together.  Once it begins simmering, add the lid onto the pot.  Cook covered at a simmer for 20 minutes.  Take lid off and cook for 15 more minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with tortilla chips, cornbread, or biscuits.  Can be topped with shredded cheese, feta, or a bit of greek yogurt. 

          ...............









3 comments:

  1. Looks super. Hope Mom makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea on the leeks! I have some in the frig I need to use. I am always amazed at how resourceful you are...who would have thought that a dip could be turned into chili?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete