Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Split pea potstickers...who would have thought?!?




Oh man, this recipe was an adventure!  Not in a bad way.  In a really delicious slightly Asian food way.  

I have never attempted to make potstickers but this weekend I must have thought I was up for the challenge. On most Sundays I enjoy experimenting with new recipes.  I have more time to try new things and play around with ingredients.  This past Sunday was the day I decided to make this recipe: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/golden-potstickers-recipe.html.  When buying ingredients, the only immediately problem I ran into was that Publix didn't have potsticker wrappers.  However, they did have egg roll wrappers so a quick substitution was made.  I guess I should technically call this post "Split pea egg rolls" instead of potstickers.  Oh well!

I am often afraid to make Asian food or even any sort of food that might have some Asian connection.  I am just not very good at it.  I think my lack of ability with this type of food is actually what attracted me to this recipe.  I always like to try new things but with this recipe for potstickers the filling consisted of caramelized onions and split peas.  These are two ingredients I know well. The process of making this dish was super easy.  The longest part was definitely cooking the split peas.  That took about 30-35 minutes. The egg rolls turned out crispy perfect and strangely good.  I wasn't quite sure what an onion and split pea mixture would taste like in an egg roll but I was very happily surprised.  I served it with a side of white rice and an arugula salad. 

When I asked Matt if he would be interested in having this recipe again, he stated, "Yes, please."  That of course was between bites of an egg roll.  We have about half of the egg roll wrappers leftover so I have a feeling I will be making some sort of egg roll concoction very, very soon.  I have some leftover chickpeas too.... I wonder how I can incorporate those two ingredients.  We will see! 

PS-Sorry again for the pictures turning a slight shade of yellow at the bottom of this post.  I am working on that small issue. 











2 comments:

  1. I like the yellowish hue! Also I am very intimidated by your ability to make egg rolls, just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom and I tried to make baked eggrolly/wontony something one time...they were hard and crunchy and not fantastic....these look fantastic!!!! Much better than what mom and I made!!

    ReplyDelete