Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Sun-dried Tomato Pesto

 For some reason, I have recently been on an Italian food kick.  I am not normally draw to anything Italian (besides pizza) so this desire is kind of strange to me.  The other day I decided to make a pesto and pasta dish inspired by this one at 101cookbooks.com: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/red-pesto-ravioli-recipe.html

Instead of using straight olive oil in my pesto, I decided to swap out about 90% of the olive oil for chicken broth.  With the ingredient switch up, I only actually used 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the entire pesto.  The original recipe calls for 1/3 cup.  For those of you out there that can eat olive oil and not gain five pounds the next day, feel free to ignore my substitution.  However, if you are slightly oil conscious (or hip conscious), try the substitution.  It actually turned out to be a really nice swap.  After Matt had finished his meal, I told him I used chicken broth instead of olive oil.  He said he hadn't noticed any texture difference or taste difference at all.  I consider that a win.

Overall this meal took about 20 minutes to make from beginning to end.  It was so easy to just pull out the food processor, pulse the pesto up, cook some noodles, mix, and serve.  We had our sun-dried tomato pesto over whole wheat spiral noodles mixed with wilted spinach.  It was topped with delicious goat cheese.  If you try it, I hope you enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to try a pesto. Spaghetti sauce is just too heavy sometimes. And I love the substitutions of chicken broth for oil. Great swap out. Did you use pine nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this pesto...I substituted the chicken broth for the oil and it worked really well.

    ReplyDelete