Saturday, December 8, 2012

Saturday Morning Sweet Potato Hash

If my morning begins by sitting at a breakfast scenario like the one pictured above, then I know that the day is going to be a good day.

This morning after having about 2 cups of coffee, I decided I was hungry for some breakfast.  Because we didn't eat at home much this week, our fridge was definitely lacking in ingredients.  However, we always have eggs (Praise Jesus!) and we also had a lonely sweet potato.  I bought this sweet potato at least two weeks ago and cannot remember why.  I am sure it was for some recipe that I ended up not making or a recipe I decided to sub out the sweet potato and add something else.  Either way, it was sitting in the fridge begging to be used.  So with that potato as my inspiration, I decided to make a sweet potato hash to go alongside a cooked egg, side of fruit, and big ol' cup of coffee.

This was a simple breakfast with simple spices.  I just grated the sweet potato, added it to a pan that had been sprayed with cooking spray, and let it cook.  I sprinkled the potatoes with Kosher salt and pepper while it was cooking.  I stirred it occasionally to prevent burning.  It took about 15 minutes to cook through.  After tasting the potatoes and knowing they were about done, I heated another pan for my egg.  Although my egg was not beautiful because the yolk broke, I was attempting to cook it over medium.  (That didn't really work out me.)  I sprinkled the egg with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder.

In the end, the dish reminded me of a little bird's nest.  It was so cute and simple. The orange color of the sweet potato against the white and yellow of the egg was also really pretty.  I couldn't help but smile while eating it.


1 comment: