Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Aloo Gobi: An Indian Experiment



Yesterday was our first wedding anniversary.  To celebrate, we went out to dinner at a restaurant that has a prix fixe menu.  This restaurant gives five options to choose from in each of the five course categories.  Deciding which option to choose for each of the courses was super difficult for both of Matt and myself.  We debated with each other, went back and forth with ourselves, asked the waitress for her opinion, and then finally decided on what we wanted.  The whole dining experience was divine. I don't use that word very often because I don't often have the chance to.  But this experience cannot be described any other way.  From the first course to the last, this dinner was purely divine and delicious.  One day I hope to cook to one-tenth of the ability of this restaurant's chef.  The whole experience reminded me over and over again why I love cooking (and love eating.)

In my desire to continue stretching my cooking skills, I am posting a link to an Indian dish I made this afternoon for our lunches for the rest of this week.  Here is the link:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/cauliflower-and-potatoes-aloo-gobi-recipe/index.html  The recipe is called Aloo Gobi which apparently translates to "Cauliflower and Potatoes" according to the Food Network website.

Although I am finding that Indian food actually has the best flavor the day after you prepare it, when I sampled this recipe while cooking, it was really good!  I added an extra serrano pepper for spice and had to switch out the potato.  On Sunday evening , I roasted some vegetables and accidentally used my potato in that dish.  I completely forgot I needed it for this recipe.  So instead of the potato that is called for, I added chickpeas instead.  The chickpeas have that starchy texture like a potato so it was an easy swap.  This was a very easy Indian dish with simple ingredients that most people have access to.  I would highly recommend it if you are up for experimenting with an easy Indian dish. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love recipes that I don't have to go out and buy special spices for, and I would like to experiement with this dish...

    ReplyDelete