Monday, September 24, 2012

Sunday is steak day



On Sunday afternoons/evenings, I love staying at home, sitting around, and eating a big dinner.  The preparation for this meal is so much fun because I have all afternoon to pull the components together.  If I have found a recipe that requires an ingredient to cook for 4-6 hours before serving, Sunday is my day to try it out!  The possibilities are endless on a Sunday.

So this week I wanted to try to make Matt another steak.  Instead of buying a seasoning or marinade, I decided to season the steak with items we already had in our pantry.  About an hour and a half before we were planning to eat dinner, I mixed 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, and 1 teaspoon of crushed red peppers in a bowl.  I then set that aside to let the flavors combine. 

About 45 minutes before I was ready to cook, I took the steak out of the refrigerator in order to get it to room temperature.  I seasoned both sides with Kosher salt and ground black pepper.  About 10 minutes before cooking, I brushed on the olive oil/pepper/garlic mixture to the steak.  Using our cast iron skillet, I turned the gas burner on high, added a little more olive oil,  waited until the skillet was nice and hot, and then seared the steak on both sides.  Matt likes his steaks medium/medium rareish so I attempted to reach that level of cookedness (?) before serving.

We had mashed sweet potatoes, broccoli, and rosemary bread (remember that from two days ago?) along with the steak.  Below is a little bit of the process.  If you decide to experiment with your steaks, please let me know.  I would love to hear about some other steak seasoning/marinating options!








4 comments:

  1. That marinade looks awesome!! How many chicken wings did Matt give it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you be my neighbor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out the Penseys website. I am finding different spice rubs and combinations. Especially with winter coming and holiday baking

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt gave it 5 out of 5 chicken wings. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

    ReplyDelete