Sunday, January 6, 2013

Almond Scones: A Sweet Morning Treat


























I love scones.  If I could eat them every day for breakfast, I swear I would do it.  Give me a scone, banana, and a cup of coffee and you've got yourself a happy woman.

A couple weeks ago I got to make this scone recipe for our church hospitality table.  The original recipe I was trying to replicate called for about half the amount of ingredients and a lot of orange flavoring. While I love all scones, including orange ones, I much prefer an almond or chocolate chip scone to a fruit flavored one.  I also had almonds left over from the Almond Layer Cake so I decided to change the original orange scone recipe around, add some whole wheat flour, take out all the orange flavoring, and add in a touch of almond. With those changes, I found myself with an almond scone spectacular!

This recipe is awesome because it is so easy to make 40 small scones in a really short amount of time.  It takes about 5-10 minutes to mix all the ingredients together, separate the scones into sections, and put them on baking sheets. I would like to say I do not strive for a the typical scone shape.  If you are looking to make a perfectly shaped scone, it might take you a little longer in the preparation phase.  Whatever shape you choose, these scones are really good.  They aren't too sweet and have a nice light texture to them even with the whole wheat flour.  If you have a reason to try them, I hope you enjoy!







          ...............

Almond Scones
(makes approximately 40 small scones in about 40-45 minutes)

2 cups white flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup milk
3/4 cup almonds, chopped
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 sticks of butter, soften

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

In a large bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.  Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.  Add the milk, almonds, and almond extract to the flour mixture. Mix together.  Next, add the butter and mix until combined. 

Once dough is mixed thoroughly, take and pat into a ball shape.  Using your hands, separate dough into eight even sections.  Take each of the individual sections and separate that dough into five additional sections.  (This will allow about 40 small scones to be made by the end.)  Shape the small sections into scones and place on a cookie sheet.  Leave about 1.5 inches between each scone to allow for rising.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom.  Serve warm or cool.  Enjoy!

          ...............

3 comments:

  1. Those look great, Jen!!! Although you know how I feel about orange pastries...delicious!!! I'm sure your almond substitute was great though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look soooo good! Who doesn't love scones? While we are on the subject...I remember you talking about a blackberry scone recipe you wanted to try. Oh, the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete