Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Bibimbap: A Signature Korean Masterpiece





A new food love has just been planted in my heart and is quickly taking root. One word: Bibimbap.  

What in the world is a "bibimbap" you might ask?  Well, let me attempt to tackle that question. If I were giving a very rough definition, I would say it is Korean dish consisting of rice, vegetables, and a fried egg which will make your heart soar and your taste buds sing.  (Here is the slightly more official Wikipedia definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibimbap just in case you are interested.)

I recently started receiving the magazine 'Bon Appetit.'  If you have never explored this magazine or the website, I would highly encourage you to give it a gander.  Not only does it discuss food, recipes, and the best ingredients around, it also gives information on restaurants you should visit while traveling in cities throughout the world.  It is kind of like a food magazine with a side of travel.  It is just wonderful altogether!

Anyway, the idea of making bibimbap for dinner was inspired by this most recent Bon Appetit issue.  They did a fabulous job photographing the bibimbap recipe which always increases my desire to actual cook it. Here is the link to Bon Appetit's Bibimbap Party. This link contains the magazine's original recipe which is the one I used while making our meal. However, I didn't make all of the vegetable recipes they mention in the article.  I made the zucchini, carrot, mushroom, spinach, and beef dishes.  They were amazing! I cannot say this enough.  I had no idea that rice, vegetables, and a fried egg could change my life but I think this meal just did.  It was cheap, pretty fast, and delicious. Please try this recipe. (Is it okay to plead with people on a blog?)  I know you will enjoy it.











2 comments:

  1. I still don't know how I feel about the name. Not sure how to pronounce it...but the end product looks delicious!!!!! Good old bibilibop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect when you have random ingredients around and don't know how to put it together. But I have another question on the the rice. You put the cooked rice in the pan with sesame oil and cook it a little, which makes it crunchy... then add the other ingredients?

    ReplyDelete