Sunday, January 13, 2013

Super Easy Baked Potato Wedges

This past week, I had high hopes for creating a vegetarian pinto bean burger that would blow my socks off.  Although I made the attempt, no socks were blown off with the end burger that was created.  However, I had also decided to make and bake some simple potato wedges to go along with the burger  These potato wedges quickly became the highlight of the meal.  Therefore, in the mindset of sharing good recipes, today I am going to post about the unexpectedly delightful potato wedges.


This recipe is as simple as can be.  I began by preheating the oven at 400 degrees.  I took four large baking potatoes and cut each potato in half. 


Then I took each of those potato halves and cut the halves into four wedges.  I threw all the wedges into a big bowl of cold water and let them sit in the water for about 15 minutes.  (This helps get rid of some of the extra starch on the potato and allows for optimal crispiness.)  I drained the water off the potatoes and put them back in the original big bowl.  Then I poured about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a good-sized sprinkling of Kosher salt on the wedges. I mixed them thoroughly with my hands until they were well coated with the oil and salt.  


Using my largest non-stick cooking sheet, I laid out each wedge flat on the sheet.  I baked them for 30 minutes, took them out, flipped each wedge over, and then baked them for another 15 minutes.  Then I took them out of the oven again, flipped them, and baked them from for an additional 15 minutes.  There was a total of 45 minutes of bake time when everything was said and done.  


These turned out so great! I totally thought these potato wedges were just going to be a good side note to the burger.  I was pleasantly surprised when they were delicious, crispy, and just salty enough.  Next time I make these, I might add some Italian seasoning to them or chili powder or garlic salt or rosemary.  The possibilities are endless! I hope you enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Those look great! Good idea about soaking them for 15 minutes before cooking! I didn't know that trick!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read in the Blackberry Farm cookbook that if you dry them with a paper towel after soaking them it makes them crispier. But I can't imagine them looking better than yours!

    ReplyDelete