Sunday, April 3, 2016

Red Velvet Cake with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting



I love red velvet cake with cream cheese icing.  Now that I think about it, I don't know if I know anyone who doesn't love it.  There is really no reason not to.  Who wouldn't like a deliciously moist cake in a fun red color covered in icing that has the perfect hint of cheese? Yes, please and thank you! I will take a slice of that.

I have been baking a lot of cakes recently because we have been having life events.  By life events I mean, 1) friends have been coming over for dinner, 2) I had a birthday celebration for a co-worker, and 3) we recently got to visit family.  Clearly all these life events are wonderful reasons to make some cakes!  I have blogged about the Honey Cake I made when friends came over.  (I still dream about that cake. It's so good.) I made this red velvet cake for my co-worker's birthday.  When trying to figure out what cake to make her, I decided to just ask her what her favorites were.  She said three types.  I can't even remember what she said because as soon as she said "Red Velvet" I knew what I was making.  I also knew where I could go to find a fabulous recipe.  My tried, true, and tested friend, Joy the Baker. Okay, she's not really my friend but I feel like we could be friends.

Joy did not let me down.  If you haven't clicked on the link to her website yet, you really should.  I literally spend 30 minutes looking over her dessert recipes when I need to find something to bake.  Every recipe I have made from her website is magical.  (I swear this isn't a paid endorsement although it sounds like it might be.) I quickly found the Red Velvet Cake with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting recipe and knew I had another winner on my hands. This cake was ridiculously moist and delightfully dense.  This frosting was so light and fluffy.  It was really the perfect cake and frosting pairing. Although I am still working on my cake icing skills, I think from the pictures below you can tell how rich and delicious the cake was.

This cake was also so much fun for me to make.  Having lived in Atlanta for eight years, I am used to seeing red velvet cake everywhere.  It's a staple on most menus and in most bakeries.  Although I have eaten it many times, I had never actually made red velvet cake from scratch.  Making this cake was pretty nostalgic for me.  It reminded me of the Atlanta restaurants we visited, fun times with friends, and sweet memories Matt and I had made.  If you make this cake recipe, I hope you enjoy the experience of making it.  Turn on some music. Make it with a friend. Spend time reflecting on why cake is so magical to share with people. Then I hope you enjoy eating the cake.  Yes, definitely enjoy the eating part.

PS-Just in case you were wondering, the third cake I mentioned (the "visiting family" cake) is going to be featured in a post soon.
















          ***************

Red Velvet Cake with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
-Cake recipe and instructions from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook on Joy the Baker's website. Cream cheese frosting and instructions from Joy the Baker.

Red Velvet Cake
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cup of sugar
2 eggs
5 tablesspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tablesspons red food coloring mixed with 2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons distilled white vinegar

Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8 inch or 9 inch round cake pans. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Turn mixer to high and add the eggs. Scrap down the bowl and beat until well incorporated.

In a separate bowl mix together cocoa, vanilla and red food coloring to make a thick paste. Add to the batter, mixing thoroughly until completely combined. You may need to stop the mixer to scrape the bottom of the bowl, making sure that all the batter gets color.

Turn mixer to low and slowly add half of the buttermilk. Add half of the flour and salt and mix until combined. Scrape the bowl and repeat the process with the remaining milk and flour. Beat on high until smooth.

Turn mixer to low and add baking soda and white vinegar. Turn to high and beat a few more minutes.

Spoon batter into prepared cake pans and bake for 25-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.

Let rest in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.

Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
1 1/2 cups butter, softened (3 sticks)
8oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
pinch of salt
4-6 cups powdered sugar
2-4 tablespoons milk depending on desired consistency

Cream the cream cheese in an electric mixer for 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl and add the butter, beating for 1-2 minutes, or until incorporated. (Be sure that the two are at room temperature. Cold cream cheese or butter can make your frosting lumpy.) Add the brown sugar, pinch of salt, and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated. Turn off mixer and add 2 cups of powdered sugar. Turn the mixer on a low speed so the sugar doesn't fly out of the bowl. Slowly add more sugar alternately with the milk until you reach your desired consistency.

          ***************


1 comment: