Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Our go-to list for our almost six month old baby


As I am looking at this picture, I can't help but think "What does someone do when they have a child this adorable?!" The person clearly can't eat, sleep, or even properly function from the straight up sweetness this child is giving off.  Those cheeks!  They kill me! I am obsessed.  I am fully aware. 

I have had very little time to cook the past two weeks.  I don't know what I have been doing.  Oh yeah, taking care of our baby that is now getting closer to being on the move.  He isn't crawling but he is definitely rolling.  Rolling everywhere.  He likes to roll under chairs, roll off the bed, roll off the couch, roll off his changing table.  Clearly with all this rolling going on, we are having to watch him like a hawk.  Today he got up on his hands and knees and started rocking back and forth.  I started crying.  How is our baby growing so quickly?!?

So instead of posting about cooking, I thought I would post about things my sweet obsession is enjoying these days.  He is a little shy of six months old now.  His little personality is showing up more and more every day.  Besides being unbelievable sweet, I am also noticing he is really brave.  Can a person actually describe an almost six month old that way? Well, I am.  I truly believe in speaking positive words over children and my little boy is definitely a brave one.  I can't wait to see where this character trait of bravery is going to take him.  (I have a feeling it might be visits to the ER on some occasions...)

Here are some things that Owen (along with me and Matt) are digging right now.

1- Bright Starts Snuggle Teether Giraffe.  Owen loves this little giraffe.  It has that crinkle paper stuff in it so every time he messes with it, it makes noise.  He loves that.  

2- His WubbaNub pacifiers.  He has two WubbaNubs, a fox and a frog, and he loves them.  When he isn't using them for their proper intention, he is chomping on the legs, face, and arms of these little things.  He is teething right now so basically everything goes directly into his little mouth. 

3- His high chair. I am obsessed with this high chair more than Owen is.  It attaches right to the dining room table so that your baby can be a part of your evening meal.  I love that because of...

4- This book. I am pretty sure we are going to be doing Baby Led Weaning with Owen.  It makes so much sense to me.  I am currently in the process of reading the book that is linked, The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook.  (Just FYI-this book isn't about letting your child breastfeed until he or she is 10 years old.  It's about introducing your child to whole foods instead of pureed from the very beginning of eating solids.)  

5- This Graco Jumper.  Owen loves this thing!  Like I have said before, because I work the weekends, I normally do all the prep work for our weekend evening meals on Friday.  Matt puts all the ingredients together and has dinner ready to go when I get home.  Most nights when I walk in the door, I hear Owen jumping his little heart out in the doorway of our kitchen.  He just jumps jumps jumps while Matt gets dinner ready.  He loves it!  

6- The "It's Okay to be Different" book.  I LOVE this book.  The message is wonderful and totally one we want Owen to grow up knowing.  It's okay to be different!  God made everyone different and that's what makes this world so beautiful.  I am digging this book.  I literally read it to him at least once a week. 

7-O'Ball Rattle.  Matt and I got Owen this rattle for his Christmas stocking.  He was about two months old at that time and had no real interest in it at all.  Now he loves it.  He will look at it for long periods of time, toss it around, push it with his feet, and shake it really hard.  Because of the big holes, he can easily grab it and move it around.  

8- Cloth diapering.  We use Flip cloth diapers and they are amazing.  We started using cloth diapers regularly when Owen was about 3 months old.  I can honestly say using cloth diapers is one of best baby investment decisions we have made thus far in our parenting.  We have saved SOOO much money by doing cloth diapering.  I was thinking about it the other day and I am pretty sure the last time we bought disposable diapers was either the end of January or beginning of February.  We use cloth diapers for Owen about 90 percent of the time.  He sleeps in a disposable diaper.  We also put him in disposable diapers if we are going out for a long period of time (i.e. visiting a friend out of state).  Other than that we are cloth all the way! 

9- Charley Harper Mobile. When Matt and I were dating, one year Matt got me a calendar and postcards by Charley Harper for Christmas.  Charley Harper's art is very geometric, looks slightly Scandinavian in design, and is nature-focused.  The other day I came across this mobile and knew it would be perfect for Owen's room.  Owen doesn't really look at it much yet but I really like it.  The color and playfulness of the mobile adds a lot to his room.  

Well, that's all I have for now.  I am excited to see what other things Owen begins to enjoy as he gets older.  I love suggestions so please feel free to share!





1 comment: