Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Ginger Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies


Spring has sprung here in Ohio!  Praise the good Lord!  I have been trying to go on walks with Owen at least a couple days a week now that it has warmed up.  He loves being outside and just looks around as I push him up and down the streets of your neighborhood.  We are taking it all in- the smell of lilac bushes, the birds chirping, the trees sprouting their new leaves.  I am excited about experiencing this spring with him.  I think back to this time last year when I was anxious almost all the time thinking about me and Matt having a baby.  Owen is a part of our family we didn't know we needed.  I am glad I am not in charge.  

I have lots of things to be thankful for this spring.  One of those things is this cookie recipe. (See how I transitioned to food right there?) This recipe came about by accident.  I recently had a ginger butter scone at a local bakery and my mind was blown.  It was amazing.  Seriously, amazing. I have a goal to recreate a version of that scone one of these days.  I thought I was going to have time a couple weeks ago but alas, I didn't.  

However, before I realized I didn't have time, I went to Trader Joe's and bought the ingredients I needed.  One of the many ingredients was crystallized ginger.  I love ginger but have never eaten crystallized ginger.  I also bought some semi-sweet chocolate chunks just because.  When I got home I wanted to try the crystallized ginger to get a literal taste of what I was working with.  I tried the ginger (which was of course delicious) and then decided to try some of the chocolate chunks.  Umm...has anyone else tried this combination and fallen in love immediately?  Maybe I am the last one to experience this delicious combo.  Either way, I am just glad I did.

With the crazy good combo still on my mind, I decided to make some ginger chocolate chunk oatmeal cookies.  These cookies turned out so well!  The ginger gives a great pop of flavor against the smooth creamy semi-sweet chocolate.  And as a bonus, these cookies are quick to make.  I think I literally got the dough ready in less than 10 minutes.  I love myself some cookies and don't doubt this recipe will be made again very soon.  


          ***************

Ginger Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies
-recipe makes approximately 3 dozen cookies

3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 sticks butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups old fashion oats
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
1/2 cup-3/4 cup diced crystalized ginger (depending on how much you like ginger)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Beat sugars and softened butter together until combined and lightened in color (approximately 3 minutes).  Add eggs and vanilla.  Mix until combined. Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined.  Add oats until combined.  Mix in diced ginger and chocolate chunks.  

Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes.  These cookies brown quickly so make sure you are watching your bake time closely.  Enjoy!


          ***************



1 comment:

  1. How in the world do you make up a cookie recipe?? I swear I'll never understand.

    ReplyDelete