Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Grapefruit Curd Grapefruit Cake


In the last couple years I have become addicted to the Joy the Baker website.  If you have not been to this blog, you must do it ASAP.  I have baked countless desserts from her site and every single one of them is delicious, delectable, and fantastic.  I am not kidding.  When I need to bake something, I immediately think, "Joy will have a recipe for this occasion" and I am never wrong.  She also has two cookbooks which I have bought for my baking-loving mother.  After Owen was born, my mom stockpiled our fridge with prepared cookie dough.  I am pretty sure I ate at least three cookies a day for way too many days in a row during that blur of new baby days. 

The other day when looking over her website, I came across a recipe for grapefruit curd in grapefruit cake.  Intriguing, right?!?  Well, I printed it out and couldn't get the recipe off of my mind.  What does grapefruit curd even taste like? What about grapefruit cake?  I know I have had lemon cake and orange cake but never a grapefruit cake.  I needed to know the answers to these burning questions.  

So on a Friday afternoon when I should have been meal prepping for my weekend job, I decided to make a grapefruit curd grapefruit cake for absolutely no reason other than I wanted to.  I honestly think that is one of the best reasons to bake.  For no real reason at all. Baking makes me smile.  Cakes make me happy.  Life's too short not to make a random cake on a Friday.  

Here's the link to the recipe on Joy's website, http://joythebaker.com/2016/02/grapefruit-curd-in-grapefruit-cake/  When I was baking it, I made it gluten and dairy-free.  I subbed the self-rising flour in Joy's recipe with gluten-free flour with the addition of a little salt and baking powder.  Instead of the butter, I used Earth Balance.  Even with those substitutions, I think this cake turned out fabulously!  It was just the right amount of citrus and oh so crumbly good.  I honestly don't think anyone would have known it was gluten and dairy free unless I told them.  

And just as a note for all the skeptics out there, grapefruit curd is amazing. You must try it.  I hope you enjoy this recipe! 








3 comments:

  1. Jennyyyyyyyyyy!!!! You're blogging!!! I'm so so so happy. SO HAPPY!! And this looks so tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend! I think you would like this cake! It would be good with a glass of tea...or champagne.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete