Sunday, February 21, 2016

Citrus Braised Pork


Does anyone else out there have a go-to shredded pork recipe?  Maybe it is because I grew up seeing billboards that said, "Pork.  The other white meat." but having a solid shredded pork recipe is a must for me and my kitchen.  I was vegetarian for a couple years and the primary reason I ever broke my vegetarianism was for a pork dish.  Not little ol' bacon but an honest, solid, delicious pork dish.  It is definitely my favorite of all the meats.

A couple months ago I came across a book called "Date Night In" by Ashley Rodriguez.  I instantly fell in the love with the concept of the book and ordered it off Amazon.  And when it finally arrived (and by finally, I really mean two days later-thank you, Amazon Prime!), I was not disappointed!  I have made many of the dishes in this book and have loved them all.  Ashley's Citrus Braised Pork recipe has definitely become a staple in our home.  I pull this recipe out whenever I want to impress people with a flavorful pork dish that is ridiculously easy to put together.

In Ashley's book, this braised pork is to be used in a chilaquiles dish.  I have made this dish multiple times and I will let you know it is incredible.  I am pretty sure chilaquiles is now one of Matt's favorite dishes of all times.  In fact, now that I think about it, I have made it twice for my in-laws.  That alone is a testimony to its tastiness. When a chilaquiles recipe is a go-to when cooking for your in-laws, you know it must be solid.  I have also used the just braised pork recipe in a variety of other ways.  We've put the pork on sandwich buns. Delicious!  We've put it in tacos. Amazing! We've made nachos and piled them high with this pork.  Incredible!  It is simply a wonderful and easy go-to shredded pork recipe.

I really can't say enough about this book. I love that the book has recipes based on the availability of seasonal fruits and vegetables.  I love that Ashley has created courses for each of the the date night meals.  It really makes a date night in feel special because there are rounds of food just like if going to a fancy restaurant.  I also love that it has a list of groceries written out for you so you know what ingredients you need to complete each set of date night recipes.  The meals do take some planning to complete but isn't the preparation part of the joy of cooking?  I hope you enjoy!




          ***************
Citrus Braised Pork 
Date Night In by Ashley Rodriguez
serves 6 to 8

2 cups orange juice
2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
10 garlic cloves, smashed
1 yellow onion, sliced
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 dried bay leaves
3 1/2 pounds bone-in pork shoulder or 3 pounds of boneless pork shoulder

In a heavy Dutch oven or other oven-safe pan with a lid, stir together the orange juice, lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, onion, brown sugar, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, and bay leaves. Add the pork shoulder and turn to coat.  Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Cover the whole roasting pan tightly with aluminum foil.  Roast, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.  Carefully flip the pork, cover again, and roast for another hour.

Remove the foil and roast for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours, turning once halfway through.  If the pork falls apart as you try to flip it over, it is done.  If not, continue to roast until it falls apart and the marinade is reduced. For a shoulder of this size, the total cooking time is usually 4 to 5 hours, or an hour to an hour and half per pound.

Remove from the oven and let rest for 20 minutes.  Shred the pork in the pan with two forks and mix with the reduced marinade.  Remove the bay leaves.

The pork can be fully prepared (marinated and braised) 1 to 2 days ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.  The flavor improves over time.

          ***************


2 comments:

  1. I just bought all the ingredients for this recipe. I can tell you, it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete