Sunday, August 25, 2013

Fresh Blueberries + a KitchenAid = Homemade Frozen Yogurt


I am going to start blogging again with a bang. A blueberry bang to be exact.

This past week as I was trying to think what I wanted to blog about, I came across a blueberry frozen yogurt recipe on one of my new favorite websites.  It is called 'Cookie+Kate' and the author (Kate) only cooks vegetarian.  That fact alone was a draw for me.  She focuses on using fresh produce and ingredients in innovative ways.  Another draw!  So when I came across her Blueberry Frozen Yogurt recipe and realized it only had five ingredients (what?!?) I knew I needed to give it a chance.  Here's a link to the recipe I used: Cookie+Kate "Blueberry Frozen Yogurt"




So as you all know, I don't always enjoy following recipes exactly as they are written.  I like to say I am being "creative" as I veer from the original author's recipe.  However, for this recipe, I followed the instructions almost exactly.  The only ingredient change I made was the type of yogurt I used.  The author calls for full-fat yogurt and instead, I used Chobani's non-fat plain greek style yogurt.  I figured it would add more protein, less fat, and less guilt about enjoying the finished product.



As you can see in the above picture, I decided to save the mashed blueberries to add to the yogurt at the end.  Matt likes his frozen yogurt to have fruit chunks in it.  He says it adds texture.  I figured if I am making him try this homemade frozen yogurt, I would at least give him some satisfying fruit chunks in the end.






I will be honest, even with the fact that this recipe only has five ingredients, I was still slightly concerned about making this frozen yogurt when I initially looked at it.  First, I didn't know if the full-fat vs. non-fat yogurt would make a difference.  Second, I had never used our KitchenAid ice cream maker so I was forging into new cooking territory by trying this recipe.  However even with those concerns, my excitement to see how this recipe was going to turn out canceled out all those fears, and I decided to plug ahead.

And oh my goodness, I am so glad I did!  This frozen yogurt was so much fun to make and so ridiculously easy.  The KitchenAid ice cream maker appliance makes it as simple as can be.  I watched a couple youtube.com videos of how to use the appliance before actually beginning the ice cream making process.  That turned out to be a good idea and I would recommend that to anyone who is just learning how to use their ice cream maker.

This frozen yogurt is so light and delicious!  I cannot wait to try other combinations of ingredients.  My mind is literally spinning right now with all the possibilities.  Should I make a peanut butter yogurt?  What about lemon?!  That sounds really great too!  We will see.  I just know that this ice cream maker is definitely going to be getting a lot more use now that my eyes have been opened to its remarkable possibilities!

I hope you enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. Lemon would be delicious!! You should make Matt a peanut butter cup kind! You should also make it for us down here in hhi!! Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes, that looks amazing.

    And I laughed so hard at your "Dill!!" comments on the corn entry but decided to comment on it here so I wouldn't comment on literally every entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Frozen yogurt in Rancho Bernardo

    ReplyDelete