Sunday, February 17, 2013

Simple Guacamole = Fiesta Time



This past weekend I was blessed to be a part of a team of women in charge of a sweet friend's baby shower.  Because my friend and her husband have a love of all things international, we decided to throw an internationally themed shower with Olympic games included!   We attempted to make food from all over the world including foods from Thailand, France, Mexico, and Italy.   I was in charge of the Mexican themed food so I decided to go with the standard and beloved Mexican foods: chips, salsa, and guacamole.

I don't mean to brag but I make a mean guacamole.  I actually learned how to make it while I was in Mexico during college.  Unfortunately (and this is seriously one of my most genuine regrets), I did not like guacamole while living there.  However, I did have to make it almost on a weekly basis for the individuals who did want to partake in it's deliciousness (which again, I regret I didn't understand at the time).  One thing I learned is that if you leave the pit of at least one avocado in the guacamole once you have finished making it, it will keep the guacamole from turning brown.  I thought this was an interesting tidbit and have used this knowledge since then.  It does work! 

The guacamole for this baby shower turned out wonderfully.  The bowl was actually scraped clean by the end of the night which is always a good sign.  I would also like to say that my guacamole recipe does not include onions like the traditional recipe.  I do not like raw onions so I leave them out.  But if you do, feel free to add one in.  I am sure it will be delicious.  Enjoy!






          ...............

Simple Guacamole
(makes about 3 1/2 cups and serves 10-14)

6 ripe avocados
6 plum tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
2 teaspoons lime juice

Cut avocado in half and spoon out into a big bowl.  (If you want to, save one of the avocado pits to put in the finished guacamole to prevent browning.)  Mash avocados with a potato masher or large fork until mostly smooth.   Add diced tomatoes, cilantro, salt, and lime juice to the bowl.  Stir gently until mixed.  Serve chilled and enjoy!

          ...............

3 comments:

  1. Wait a second....I am the best guacamole maker ever!!! My recipe seems to be almost identical to yours except I don't put in yucky cilantro!!! Our guacamole making genius must be a Powell thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it must be a Powell thing! I'm not touching this one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally! The secret guacamole recipe! I am bookmarking this page forever.

    ReplyDelete